Tuesday, September 05, 2006

its all in the mind - or is it??

can i take my mind off my mind? i badly want to for a while. i know i sound weird here. allow me to explain. my mind gets restless every now and then. it thinks too much. it doesnt let me sleep some nights. its a buzzing bee. it thinks about anything and everything. it thinks about anyone and everyone. there is no pattern. over the last couple of months it has depressed me to an extent. i do my bit of counselling it and ravi adds in too. it all makes sense. all the advice sounds right. but the next instant, my mind is back to square one or shall i say maze one?!

i will let you in my mind for a while. this is dangerous, but i will risk it! basically it thinks about the day, about who said what, what i said, was what i said right, what should i do in life, why am i here, what it the purpose of it all...it thinks about the past, the present and the future. about meaningless trivia and about life's great truths. about people, comparing myself with others against all possible metrices. about my job or cooking or travelling or budgeting or the blogs unfinished. it thinks about the sad and hurtful moments and about the happy and blissful ones. you see - little things, big things, just about everything.

i am not in the "here and now". i dont have answers to most of the mind's questions. i am not able to live for the moment, relax, let my hair down and not think too much. i feel lost and a bit helpless at times. its not as serious as it may sound here. but its a nagging mind i have!

i know its all in the mind. rather, its all in me. but if feels good to blame something else or someone else, doesnt it? so i blame my mind. there might be answers in me. but i just dont know how to find it. its probably not an exaggeration to say i am not able to find myself.

have i done the right things thus far in life? am i on the right track now? what is expected? rather, what do i expect of life? what is the next step?

when in a group, i sometimes get carried away to a faraway land. this is minutes after exchanging pleasantries. i am not there with the people. and it probably shows. i find it hard to focus and keep engaging in conversations of little or no interest.

it hasnt been easy writing this. it might also be a depressing read. but i needed to vent. i needed to crib and cry. and isnt my blog the best place for my mind?! there is no escape. i have to find a way to mind my mind. there is no help in the self help books. i probably should give meditation/yoga a go.

am thinking: we can never see ourselves as others see us; even the mirror shows us in reverse -- PK Shaw

am thinking: for the mind is restless, turbulent, obstinate, and very strong, O Krishna, and to subdue it is, it seems to me, more difficult than controlling the wind -- Sankhya Yoga, Chapter 6

am thinking, am thinking, am thinking....

6 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Blogger HarishSrinivasan said...

Umm.... Everyone goes through this in their life. Its usual.

the verse you quoted at the end is from Bhagavad Gita 6.34. Since you seem to know Vedas, go through Bhagavad Gita and see what Krishna Says:-). So dedicate your mind towards something that is most superior. The answer to your question is available in Bhagavad Gita 6.35 onwards. Read through it and you will slowly begin to understand.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger bhadra said...

nice presentation of mind boggling.

oLLeyadAgali

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger direkishore said...

Reminds me of of Ghaalib,

Dil-e-naadan tujhe hua kya hai
Aakhir is dard ki dawa kya hai

Without going to the definition of mind, there are two ways one can address any turbulence of the mind, one is to go for a direct conflict with it and the other is taking the side of the mind. I believe in the latter for both what the mind and you want is the same thing, and it is Peace.

I have been trying meditation myself and it does help.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Shubha said...

harish>> welcome to my blog! thanx for the tip. have gone thro bits and pieces of the gita...its hard for me to believe in one supreme being. i can relate to the doubts and fear posed to the lord, but find it hard to assimilate the lord's answers leading only to the lord.

mavinayanasa srinivas>> welcome! thank you. nimma kannada baravanige chennagide. biduvaadaga oduttene.

shiv>> taking side of the mind? am not sure that is the answer in my case. as the mind is growing more diffident and sensitive by the day. yes, will start yoga/meditation once i find a class near home. do u meditate at home? any tips?

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Grandebelf said...

Hey Shubs,

Good to know you are writing frequently:) I guess everyone goes through the same stuff at some point in there lives. I also experience similar feelings most of the time. It more so happens when you meet and talk with the same group of people over and over again! You go back to the same old topics, you get bored and start thinking about something else.

Madhu

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger direkishore said...

I myself am a novice to give you any tips :), I have been trying a couple of buddhist meditation techniques taking the help of a few library cds, I got another CD from VYASA, they have centers all over the world, their meditation cd is awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home