Wednesday, August 09, 2006

6 Aug, 2006

yet another birthday came and went. the next day i wondered what all the excitement was about...it was just another day, wasnt it? the only difference now is my age! filled the census form last night and unconsciously was about to fill in 26 in place of 27...i have never liked odd numbers! anyway, this is how i feel at this juncture in life. i feel i have to be more conscious of my responsibilities/commitments than i was before. i mean, life was different when i was single. it did change after getting married but it was still a honeymoon phase where you continued to party! also i had the excuse of being new in australia! now i feel a certain pressure with the 'things i have to do' as opposed to the 'things i want to do'. this is a pressure from within. since i believe that i am the maker of my own future, i feel the need to push myself further and further till i get there.

this year was a lot different to the last. 2005's birthday was my first one away from home, away from mom and all others dear to me. it was particularly hard on me. on the eve of my birthday i remember feeling lonely & depressed. i was angry that i am so far away. i confess i missed all the attention. i missed mum's jamoon and her love and all that she would do. i missed hugging dad and getting his wishes. i missed going out with my brother and friends for dinner. ravi did his best to help me out of this with all his love.

sydney as though is "gandana mane" and bangalore "tavaru mane". both are utterly precious to me and i cant imagine one without the other....and i questioned myself why i couldnt have the best of both worlds??? i may never find an answer to that one.

this year was far more pleasant. i had a 'happy' birthday! though i missed everyone just like last year, i didnt feel as bad. i am probably used to the life here now. i am not sure if thats good or bad! dad, bro & mum called me at the strike of 12 and mum called me so many times later that i felt she was here with me. i had friends calling and texting from all over. good wishes and a great sunday outing to the
Wiseman's Ferry made my day! top it up with a new fab nokia 6131 from ravi, the flip phone which i was craving for...could i ask for anything more?

want to share some valuable insights and some of the eventful days in the last year...

some highlights were:

* our first wedding anniversary
* fireworks at the harbour bridge on new year's eve
* trip to melbourne in Jan 06 - the prettiest city in the world after bangalore!
* dad and mum are now E-active....mom emails me now yipppppeeeeeee! will take a while for dad to get there...i can wait
* buying the laptop...cant live without it now
* all the yummy additions to my earlier limited range of cooking
* joining SBS radio kannada programme
* getting my DL

things i look forward to in the next year:

* my friend raksha's trip to sydney in Sep with her husband 6 month old son
* mum and dad's passports getting made and them visiting sydney (once dad finds his 10th marks card....gosh i cant wait, have run out of patience now)
* vishnu's wedding
* our long overdue trip to india
* career stabilisation
* ravi's new car, him working lesser hours and eating on time (haha...sound like a wife now eh?)
* a holiday trip which is now a dream
* practice my singing

lessons learnt or in the process of learning:

* let go of the past - its a different work culture here, try to adapt to the jealousy, the materialism, the 'me first' mentality
* act dumb at times, coz those who are intellectually advanced are not well accepted in peer groups - not complimenting myself here. u know it too...indians are too intelligent and mature for the western world...oh but australia is not western world or is it?? if u travel all the way around! see i am dumb already!!
* try your best not to complete the work on time...again...smart and efficient...what do they mean?
* wait till the india trip to buy good shoes - u can only find v-shaped, pencil heeled, utterly uncomfortable shoes in this land
* wait till the india trip to buy underwear - u can only find padded ones in this land...but naturally
* take care of yourself coz there is no one else around to do so except the two of you
* as much as you would love to socialize - it is real hardwork and eats a lot of time
* save and dont spend on pointless and tiring shopping mall visits only to cram up the storage space at home (yet to learn this)


6 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Blogger Deeps said...

Congrats on your Nokia and belated birthday wishes :).

The first 3 paragraphs were almost exactly my thoughts, it was as if it was taken from my mind. Only replace Australia with US. I guess I'll feel different this birthday, a lot better too maybe..

when you argue with ravi - you are not always right
* and he is never right


Hehehe :)). Well said :). So many points are so true. There's nobody here to care if you fall ill, so you just have to take care of yourself. But we do get flat shoes in US ;-). The underwear is either padded or too skimpy though ;-) :-D.

Yeah the US people also seem to believe that Indians are too dumb to even know English :-p. I have had 2 people asking me about how I knew such good English and they both were pretty surprised to know that we actually study it as a language :-p.

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats for being odd numbered old and for getting used to be away from home ;-) I know how it feels to be away from home especially on ur Bday. I have been experiencing it from past 8 years :P now, Im kinda used to it!
Happy birthday once again and may all those things on ur list-"things i look forward to in the next year" come true!
God Bless!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Soumya said...

Nice to know about ur b'day celebrations...U had fun!!That's great...
I guess time is the healer...U get used to things...
Could relate a lot to the "lessons learnt" part...Specially about taking care of urself...I believe we take certain things for granted when we safe & sound at home...
I sincerely wish that everything u r looking forward to brings u much happiness...Have a great year ahead...

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger Deeps said...

Hey I completed your tag. You can see it here :).

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Shubha said...

deepthi>> thanx a lot! do get flat shoes here but they are not my type either! at interviews even i got asked how i knew english so well! i used to get infuriated. but now answer it diplomatically - "the british looted us and left behind their language and the railways!"

guru>> sorry abt that mate...when i first visited some blogs on blogger i couldnt comment for ages simply becoz i couldnt create a user id that didnt already exist :(
finally created my blog here. try creating an "anonymous" id. thanx for calling...and u must know by now that i am a good driver! look forward to your next call.

shachi>> thanx so much for your wishes. 8 years? unimaginable. thanx again.

soum>> TA mate...thats thank you in aussie style! thanx for calling too. you've always been amazingly regular in wishing me :)

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Deeps said...

Hey you can trouble me with tags anytime. My initial reaction was because I had a whole backlog of blogs to write and another one added to it :-D. I am sorry :-|.

Now that all backlog is cleared you can tag me anytime :-D.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home